Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  Severance payments to Management and the effect on local radio  (Read 4888 times)

Rita

• View Profile
Copy of an e-mail sent to Lord Hall, re: a number of subjects including severance payments to Management and the effect on local radio:-
Wonder whether I will get an acknowledgement and/or answer to my queries.

Dear Lord Hall,
You will probably be aware that I have e-mailed you some time ago re: local radio and all that is happening there, especially at my local station, Radio Merseyside.  I have to say I have had no acknowledgement or response to my queries, and I only know you are aware of my e-mail via my MP, David Watts.
I am actually appalled at the massive severance payments made to various members of the "management" of the BBC, which in a time of restraint in the country, are obscene in the extreme, especially given the incompetence of some people, and it beggars belief that they seem to have been rewarded for it, or even worse, been given further employment by the Corporation.  If they had been employed by anyone else, they would have been suspended, often without pay, and if it involved the misappropriation of money, in all probability, if found guilty, they would have been sacked.
It makes me really angry to think that some of the vast amounts of money used for these pay-outs could have saved local radio from making any cuts to their budgets at all and enabled them to keep their programmes and presenters "local" without them being forced to broadcast a national show in the evenings for 3 hours, thus depriving them of listening to their favourite local presenters.
We are now coming to that time of year when the dreaded word "football" will be assailing our ears once more.  I have to say it is extremely frustrating that the airwaves seem to be taken over by this sport, especially at the weekends, when those who are not interested in sport are denied the opportunity to listen to their favourite presenters entertaining them, instead of having to endure at least 6 hours listening to the whole of the match, then further time added  on for a 'phone in while listeners give their opinions, good or bad of the match.
I am now going to ask you about "streaming".  I think the people who want to listen to music and entertainment have the right to listen to that.  It is particularly frustrating for me and others, when their favourite presenters only are "on air" for the vast majority of the time at the weekend and their shows are constantly cancelled on a Saturday and Sunday to accommodate sport.  I have asked the former Managing Editor and the one in post now if "streaming" cannot occur, so we can have a choice of what we listen to - and both have said this is not possible, as it is very expensive and technical staff have to be in the building.  I find that amazing, especially if there is a rugby league match on, when they use "streaming".  I understand that "streaming" is not as expensive as they make out and technical staff may not be needed, but, I am only a layman, so couldn't say anything about that one way or another.
I don't think it is fair on either presenters or listeners alike when programmes are cancelled,
especially when it might be a few weeks at a time, or a regular occurrence, and I think you should look into this and see if some extra finance could be given to stations to accommodate this and make everyone happy.
Personally I think the Managing Editors are only interested in weekday programmes and I would be very surprised if they even listen in to the entertainment shows at the weekend.  I have to say that the majority of the presenters at the weekend deliver some high quality shows, for which they do not receive any praise or encouragement for - that is left for the weekday presenters only.
I am sure you yourself are able to listen to Radio Merseyside, perhaps on the play-it again facility and I would encourage you to listen to the shows presented by Roger Lyon and Frankie Connor especially, so that you know what I am talking about and why they are so popular with the listeners - they don't receive the credit they deserve.
I would value your comments.
Yours sincerely,
Rita Leyland

Tiger

• View Profile
Re: Severance payments to Management and the effect on local radio
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 11:33:25 PM »
A brilliant letter Rita, I hope that inspires others to take action, and I hope it gets the reply that it deserves.

Ruby

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 01:52:15 PM »
I agree with Tiger, it is a brilliantly written email.  It seems that lots of local radio stations suffer the same thing, regular and well loved programmes being ousted when the sport arrives.  We are not all SSSPPPPOOOOORRRRTTTTT fans.  I hope you receive a satisfactory response.

Rita

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 10:08:37 PM »
It won't be long now Ruby before the new football season starts and my favourite shows are "footied off" time without number, which isn't acceptable.
I am not holding my breath for a satisfactory response.  I am still awaiting an answer to my first e-mail, but what I really want is for Lord Hall to take note of what I said, and take some action.  If they can "stream" for rugby league, then they can "stream" for the entertainment shows.  It is supposed to be too expensive (or that's what they say), but it can't be any more expensive than doing it for the rugby - it's still only one show.  6 hours of football including  an "inquest" on it by football fans is not acceptable.  I am still entitled to listen to my favourite programmes and presenters at the weekend, as you are - no ifs or buts about that!

JuliaAllen

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 10:21:30 PM »
Sadly as part of the Save The Roger Day Evening Show Team we have had an email from the BBC to say that as we have written on a number of occasions they have decided they won't be replying to further correspondence from us, I presume that is also why you haven't had a reply from them

mel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 11:31:33 PM »
Hi Julia, I think thats disgusting. How can they treat licence payers like that.
They then wonder why people have lost trust in the BBC using that attitude.
It makes me so mad to think they can just ride rough shot over the listener.
GGGrrrr

JuliaAllen

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 07:21:36 AM »
Although we have posted the email we received on other threads I am posting the most relevant part again in case any of you missed it.  As follows:-

Nevertheless, in terms of your continuing complaint about the Roger Day programme, whilst the BBC once again recognises your evidently strongly-held feelings for the show and those of your group and your petition signatories, the reality is that weve nothing further to add to our many previous replies where weve explained the need for changes across all parts of the BBC including Local Radio.

We fully appreciate you continue to disagree with our decision to end the programme in question, but we note weve received and replied to a significant number of complaints which youve made to various people and departments across the BBC on this matter, so whilst you may continue to hold the same viewpoint, what we cannot do is continue to correspond indefinitely saying the same things. Your most recent complaint is a further example of the same point you made on previous occasions and weve already explained our position clearly on this matter.
The BBC complaints service exists for all licence payers to ensure they can raise issues which may suggest, and then enable us to resolve, possible breaches of BBC Editorial Guidelines. We consider the volume of complaints from you has now made disproportionate demands on licence fee resources, and whilst we appreciate your point of view is strongly held, your complaints havent given substantive evidence to suggest breaches of our guidelines and have raised the same issue after we have made our position clear.

Were therefore writing to explain that if you continue to submit similar further complaints to (any part of, or person within) the BBC, we may write to explain well not continue to reply to you.

Rita

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 05:02:42 PM »
Perhaps they should tell us why they think it is a waste of licence payers money when they have wasted hundreds of thousands of pounds in severance payments to people who work for them (out of our money), some of whom have been inefficient in their work.  In my world, you are not rewarded for inefficiency - usually you are suspended and in some cases sacked.  They should think about that in this age of "we're all in this together" and in a time of austerity for the rest of us.  How can this be justified? - it can't!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter