Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  Miss You Still - by Lenny Henry  (Read 2830 times)

Albert

• View Profile
Miss You Still - by Lenny Henry
« on: August 01, 2013, 09:08:30 AM »
Miss You Still - by Lenny Henry

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b037jfmy

I have never been a particular fan of Lenny Henry and remember him only for doing an impersonation of Frank Spencer (If you don't know who Frank Spencer is don't worry) and rolling his eyes.

I'm aware that Lenny Henry is trying his hand at more serious stuff these days and so I will listen in to today's Afternoon Drama with interest. The synopsis looks like it could be a good story.

mel

• View Profile
Re: Miss You Still - by Lenny Henry
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 10:47:21 AM »
Thank you Albert,

I`ll listen tonight on the i-player.

And yes, I have heard of Frank Spencer, Ive seen him on youtube (very funny).

Thanks again.

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 12:50:06 PM »
I gave it a try. In the evening I tried again with the iPlayer but I didn't quite get it then either. For example, I was not quite sure about the sex thing over the video phone/Skype thing, although I realise this was just a side issue. Was it Lenny showing he was hip and down there with the kids with the way they talk and the things they do? It just seemed to be stereotypes.  I remain confused and the whole thing just seemed to be a mish mash of ideas.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 09:52:25 PM »
Hi Albert,

I am with you on your review. I gave it a go and to be honest I found it a bit disturbed and disturbing but not in a challenging way. It was not worthy of the drama slot.

I like Lenny Henry and he clearly has talent in comedy and acting, but perhaps not writing.

Also what I object to is a sort of luvvy thing that surrounds him and some others with Radio 4. A play should be good and brilliantly written, it should never be about who knows who and who can pull strings.

Not the first time that a few strings have been pulled for Lenny on R4...

There are brilliant writers out there and the luvvies must stand aside if they really cannot deliver on the writing. What is it with some of these people?

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 03:26:29 PM »
Excellent summing up. I knew what I was trying to say but couldn't put the right thoughts, phrases and words together. You've done it.

I treasure a good Afternoon Play and have done for years. They've made me smile, sad, reflective, happy, wonder, etc. I appreciate that not all writing can be brilliant. I appreciate that not all plays can meet with my tastes. But I do wonder what if this play had been submitted by an ordinary member of the public, would the BBC have broadcast it and allowed it to take up a couple of hours of my life?

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 08:44:07 PM »
Dear Albert,

I am with you completely.

The Afternoon play on Radio 4 is a very special place. AND I can think of no other production on TV or film that has really come close to my experience of the poignancy of what has been delivered on Radio 4. I have been gripped by plots and almost run out of petrol and I have to say there have been many times that I have been unable to drive because of tears falling and have pulled over . Just glad that the play ends before I have to fulfil my school run.

Because it is such a special place, there should be no favours given out. It must remain a special place.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 09:48:58 PM »
AND I have to say that the importance of credible drama is to avoid racial  or gender stereotypes.

The most important dramas explore that by complete inclusion. The characters are there , just like in our society and just like everyone else are allowed to exist without question or pre prejudice.

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 09:19:14 AM »
Here is a link to wikipedia for Afternon Drama from the BBC. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afternoon_Drama

For such a short write up - of all the plays over the decades, of all the fantastic writers and marvellous actors - Lenny Henry gets a mention.

That is the beauty of wiki. (/sarcasm)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 08:35:53 AM by Albert »

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 12:53:43 PM »
And in the wonderful Aladdin Cave of the BBC archive and plays worthy of repeat, our Lenny manages to get this one on again.

I think I know why? Time to promote a few friends maybe:

Lenny Henry is currently starring in Fences in the West End, Clare Perkins is Ava Hartman in EastEnders, Bunmi Mojekwu is in Romeo and Juliet at the National Theatre, and Amit Shah is currently filming The Smoke for Sky 1. This is thirteen year old Tranae Sinclair's radio debut and she is also in Fences in the West End.

No offence intended Lenny, but this afternoon I shall be tuning in to Steve Wright in the Afternoon over on 2
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 08:36:11 AM by Albert »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter