Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  More women on air on BBC local stations, Tony Hall speaks out!  (Read 9867 times)

radiolad

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: More women on air on BBC local stations, Tony Hall speaks out!
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 09:22:41 PM »
A female presenter has also joined the regular breakfast presenter on Radio Bristol. It seems a lot of stations are either giving a woman an early breakfast show or doing a double-header breakfast show.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 10:11:38 PM »
And Suzanne Bamborough is imminently joining James Cannon to host Surrey Breakfast.

JY

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2014, 02:12:53 PM »
I think BBC 3CR will go down the route of a female presenter at Breakfast with many other stations in the BBC East region already doing the same and also with the current host proving a major turn off loosing 30% of the audience in the last batch of figures for 3CR. Things are very dire and change has to be happening very soon in both management and the awful schedule 7 days a week now at the station. Its the worse the station has been in since it started back in 1985.

Rita

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 02:44:23 PM »
JY, At my station, Radio Merseyside, they have a female presenter for an "Early Breakfast Show" from 6.00 a.m. - 7.00 a.m. and then the "Breakfast Show" itself is from 7.00 a.m.

Julie Franks

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 09:43:56 AM »
I am in favour of hearing more female voices on local radio as it adds a bit of variety.However this latest trend of bringing in females to breakfast shows is a nonsense. The breakfast show is an important programme for any radio station and to bring in women just to make the numbers up or conform to the latest guidelines is ridiculous.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 11:27:12 PM »
I am in favour of hearing more female voices on local radio as it adds a bit of variety.However this latest trend of bringing in females to breakfast shows is a nonsense. The breakfast show is an important programme for any radio station and to bring in women just to make the numbers up or conform to the latest guidelines is ridiculous.

Well, the reality is that women form 50% of the audience. They , therefore, have to be represented in the way that shows are presented. It is not variety or nonsense or ridiculous. It is fair and balanced and should be valued ,to be honest the views of a white middle aged man on the BBC local radio stations are fine but we absolutely need to hear the voices of women as well. Your post proves that.

David Holdsworth is quoted many times in an article in the Radio Times, published today. I cannot print that so here is summary in the Guardian.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/sep/23/bbc-retunes-gender-gap-local-radio

Julie Franks

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2014, 07:14:55 AM »
Well, the reality is that women form 50% of the audience. They , therefore, have to be represented in the way that shows are presented. It is not variety or nonsense or ridiculous. It is fair and balanced and should be valued ,to be honest the views of a white middle aged man on the BBC local radio stations are fine but we absolutely need to hear the voices of women as well. Your post proves that.

David Holdsworth is quoted many times in an article in the Radio Times, published today. I cannot print that so here is summary in the Guardian.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/sep/23/bbc-retunes-gender-gap-local-radio
I agree to an extent but I do not want to hear women who are not up to standard just because of some guidelines. If a station has a male line-up it is a good idea to add a female but only if they are up to standard.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2014, 07:11:20 PM »
I agree to an extent but I do not want to hear women who are not up to standard just because of some guidelines. If a station has a male line-up it is a good idea to add a female but only if they are up to standard.

Hi "Julie", I think I will let Georgey Spanswick, who took over the breakfast show at Radio York in May answer the points that you raise. She says..

" It's not a box ticking exercise. I can do my job. I've worked really hard- and if I can't do this job, I'll be found out. Just as a man in my position would be found out if he couldn't do his job"

David Holdsworth has said that "women are not a shoo-in" On  3 occaisons this year men have been newly appointed to breakfast shows.

Also. I have to add something here, there are cases, in this case on my own station, where there is a male presenter mid morning who in my opinion does not deliver well. That is not just my opinion, when he is not presenting he is replaced by a very gifted female presenter and she is always overwhelmed by comments praising the show. The reason why the male presenter is still there is baffling, but it is probably because he  is a white middle aged male. He does not really deserve to be there if you are judging by merit.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 08:45:34 PM by Tiger »

JY

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2014, 12:10:30 AM »
That's the case with the dire 3CR Breakfast Show when the presenter goes on holiday everyone switches back on and really enjoys the stand in who usually is Justin Dealey. Trust me when the current host does get shown the door people will be dancing in the streets of the 3CR region.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter