Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  Happy Birthday! Radio Sussey, also covering North Hampshire.  (Read 760 times)

Tiger

• View Profile
I am calling it Sussey on purpose, before one of the Forum's pedants acuses me of being wrong on his Twit feed. I know that the historical origin is in Sussex but I have been listening in Hampshire on the Surrey transmitters for OMG over 20 years!...

Mark Carter has put up this blog 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/posts/BBC-Sussex-30-Day-Tour

And there is a special evening opt out here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01k5xzq

BBC Surrey and Sussex is my local station, and it has been there during snow chaos, elections, pot holes, bullying issues in schools, the worry that Jeremy Hunt is a listener and much much more, and that more is the ability to engage and interact with our local communities on the light as well as the dark issues. It is simply vital.

I started listening to Ed Douglas on Surrey(so funny) and I think many may remember the Bluff at 9am which included Jo Good, and John Radford and Neil Pringle.

I think I am entitled to have my say about this station.

There is of course other comment here.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1902368

Special mention has to go to Joe Talbot, for being the reason that I bothered to listen to mid mornings, a brilliant presenter with an understated intelligence and humour.

Going back I have to mention Dominic Buzby and his starry skies, again he combined intelligence and interest with engaging skill.

There was , of course a bit of a rollercoaster change in the middle of all this and Neil Pringle became managing editor and sacked everyone and changed the format. Probably one of the reasons that the BBC messageboards closed down! (I was just a bystander and the anger was very real)

However, I have to say that special mention has to go to Gordon Astley (mid morning post sackings) Gordon appeared before the changes as well and I have to say that he was stunning at times and if anyone can produce that sort of laughter, that he inspired in me during the morning then that is of note. He never failed to try and engage with his audience the Game with No name will be something never repeated and then his very serious exposure of problems with care homes(well before it was national) deserves credit.

And then we had Tommy Boyd on Afternoons, I know, not an easy presenter. But I have to say that it was probably some of the best radio I have heard.

The station then checked itself into recovery and I would say..

The Breakfast program with Nick Wallis was exceptional. There was a real talent in journalism and interviewing that made BBC Surrey a force to be respected.

Presenters such as Mark Carter, Sarah Gorrell and Allison Fearns, who really make listening to a local station worthwhile, also are the reasons that BBC Sussey is entitled to celebrate their heritage.

And I do not mean to leave other names out,  I am not listening at those times.

Many happy returns!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter