Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  G F Newman's The Corrupted  (Read 3269 times)

Albert

• View Profile
G F Newman's The Corrupted
« on: November 01, 2013, 04:56:43 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03dyg3w/episodes/guide

Yep, pretty good as far as I was concerned but I could not ignore some of the comments on Feedback this week. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03fgrcm

I was especially unimpressed with the spin, mealy mouthed murmurings, ignorance and evasiveness of Radio 4's Commissioning Editor for Drama Jeremy Howe in his interview on Feedback and his justifications for broadcasting The Corrupted over 10 consecutive weekday afternoon slots.

It was said that this was an experiment. Which means that the Afternoon Play/Drama could well be hijacked by other similar offerings. I struggle to accept some of the other serials/series such as McLevy. Which I like, but part of the appeal of the Afternoon Drama for me is the spontaneity and surprise that can spring up, which you just won't get with serials, no matter how well written and acted.

In a nutshell: an excellent piece of drama but misplaced in its programming slot.

Oh, and I unfortunately missed a couple of episodes but the BBC did not consider to allow Listen Again in this case to go back two weeks.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 04:59:19 PM by Albert »

Tiger

• View Profile
Re: G F Newman's The Corrupted
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 11:17:35 PM »
Hi Albert,

I agree with what you say. And only listenened to the first episode then missed one, then tried again and gave up.

I also heard Feedback and agree with your summary of Jeremy Howe, I would add arrogance to that. Apparently he will see how it played out and I got the impression that he was rather dismissive of listener opinion and listening figures. I think that would be a mistake Radio 4 listeners and those to it's drama are more than capable of critical faculty and probably have more experience of the drama slot than he does.

Also, I cannot help thinking that this long drama over 10 episodes is a much cheaper way of delivering into that slot, than individually commissioned daily dramas? I really hope that is not the real reason for this "experiment" and that more experiments will follow.? As you say, Albert, the delight and value of the Afternoon Drama is its diversity and  stand alone drama in that slot.

Artless_Reader

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 09:55:38 PM »

I was especially unimpressed with the spin, mealy mouthed murmurings, ignorance and evasiveness of Radio 4's Commissioning Editor for Drama Jeremy Howe in his interview on Feedback and his justifications for broadcasting The Corrupted over 10 consecutive weekday afternoon slots.

I've always had the highest regard for Mr Howe, but I'd never heard him speak until his comments on Feedback. They may not be representitve of the man, but his smug, self-satisfied self-approval reminded us of what the BBC can be like when it becomes intoxicated with its own power.

To run something over ten episodes and then deny the listener a proper denouement, practically demanding another series, is a cheap dramatic trick unworthy of BBC drama. For Mr Howe then to claim that another series would not automatically be commissioned sounded very disingenuous. Nevertheless, he seemed very pleased with himself.

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 01:53:20 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b050z5cf/episodes/guide

I considered starting a new topic but I think I am in order bringing this one back to life.

I'm positive enough about this, and pleased that the BBC have not flooded the afternoon slot with more of these multi-episodes. That option should only be used sparingly.

Is this drama good enough to fill the slot for two weeks? Yes, I would say it is.

I'm looking forward to the next 10 days or so.

Edited to add: I am having an awful lot of problem differentiating between all the characters. Many of them sound the same as each other. This is radio not glorious technicolour TV. Is it just me that has this problem, I wonder?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 06:52:57 PM by Albert »

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 09:43:27 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b050z5cf/episodes/guide

I considered starting a new topic but I think I am in order bringing this one back to life.

I'm positive enough about this, and pleased that the BBC have not flooded the afternoon slot with more of these multi-episodes. That option should only be used sparingly.

Is this drama good enough to fill the slot for two weeks? Yes, I would say it is.

I'm looking forward to the next 10 days or so.

Edited to add: I am having an awful lot of problem differentiating between all the characters. Many of them sound the same as each other. This is radio not glorious technicolour TV. Is it just me that has this problem, I wonder?

Enjoyed the trails I heard but missed most of the first episode so that's me out I'd say for the next fortnight!

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 10:23:52 PM »
Hmmm, well I do see what you mean, darcy

I'm going to persevere with this one and might even try to find the time to Listen Again on the website if I have to. But there again, I really don't have the time to try and fathom out which pseudo-cockney-geeza accent is which pseudo-cockney-geeza accent. They all sound the same.

Pity really, because there are some lovely bits of history injected into the story. It's a nice story though. With some rather pointed and thinly veiled happenings.

I'm going to try and stick it out.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter