Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  BBC 3CR audience Share Down Big Time.  (Read 4179 times)

JY

• View Profile
BBC 3CR audience Share Down Big Time.
« on: November 04, 2013, 04:44:01 PM »
To many of its listeners its hardly been a surprise but last week confirmed that BBC 3CR dropped 19.9% in audience share in the latest set of figures from Rajar.I have to say that this is the worse figures I can remember the station ever getting not only does the whole schedule needs changing its Laura Moss managing editor. There are at least 2 facebook pages that has fed up listeners commenting on just how bad things have got at 3CR.Mick Rawsthorne head of BBC East and Moss's boss needs to get a grip on 3CR and in my view its sacking Moss who has shown she is not up to the job. The Breakfast Show with dire Ian Lee and the Mid Morning Show with Posh Boy Smith need replacing the station needs to get the much missed Ronnie Barbour back big time.

AndrewU

• View Profile
Re: BBC 3CR audience Share Down Big Time.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 06:29:43 PM »
I think it would be good to get the figures straight.

The drop of 19.9% was reach, not share. There was a lesser drop, of ~8.5% in the share. As I said before, although the reach has dropped 19.9%, it was up 16% in the previous quarter and up 22% in the quarter before that.  How long has Laura Moss been there?

The longer term trends show that they are up 10% in reach and nearly 23% in share (edited: I should have said before that this was year-on-year).

I can't comment on the people you mention or on the quality of the programmes. You might be right, but I don't think that one quarter's figures are enough on their own to prove this.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 09:28:28 PM by AndrewU »

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 09:58:15 PM »
Hi Andrew,

Could you do the Forum a favour?, what you say may well be valuable, and as a trainee anorak I understand your terms.

But for the benefit of others I would be grateful if you could explain terms such as reach and scope etc and make them " user friendly " Can you do a post in lay terms that Paul might understand.

That would be quite valuable to normal listeners and something that is not usually done by radio types, so you could actually make a difference in how Rajar is understood.

And to Paul, I would say that Laura Moss seemed to be quite passionate about local radio at the recent  radio festival event covered by 5 Live And tried to take on the argument about BBCLR. Thread is here.

http://www.bbclocalradioforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=845.msg5130#msg5130

AndrewU

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 10:45:44 PM »
Hi Tiger,

Well, I'm not an expert! Rajar give their definitions in detail (shown when hovering a mouse over the 'i' icon on the listening figures page).

Approximately:

'Reach' is the number of people who listen to the station each week. Obviously a greater reach would be expected when serving cities than for rural areas and so the survey also records reach as a percentage of population in the served area. This gives the number of people, but they could be listening all day or just for 5 minutes.

'Total hours' is the number of hours of listening over the course of a week (but it could be lots of people for a short time, or a few people for a long time)

'Share' is the proportion of listening hours (within the appropriate coverage area) for the station, as a percentage of total radio listening.

All of these would be needed to understand the overall picture (and I guess each station and show has its own view on which matter most).

They are also all dependent not only on the station's own performance, but on changes made by their local (and national) competitors.

For BBC 3CR, as raised by Paul, if reach has dropped more than share (and total hours) that suggests to me that there is a greater reduction in more casual listeners (or those who tune in just for a specific feature), but that they have lost fewer of their more loyal listeners.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 11:54:33 PM »
Thankyou Andrew,

That is a start, it really is important to try and translate rajar into something that can be understood by the non anorak wearing public.

Have no idea why Rajar has not already done that?

And really they should actually be divulging all the figures. They are paid in a large part by the publc and should be serving that public.

I guess it is about money and we have to have all the media experts doing analysis.

You would be more than welcome as a non expert to continue bebunking some of the rajar terms. I think that would be of real value.

JY

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 01:07:56 PM »
If you visit the many of the Facebook pages set up by loyal BBC 3CR listeners all is not well with the stations output and certain presenters Moss the Boss has been there for over 18 months the signs are not good unless she starts making wanted changes not the unwanted she has made this year.

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 09:25:35 PM »
Can't live in the past love GL  :o

JY

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 04:50:42 PM »
Trust me good listening figures are in the past so long as the current dire line up and management still are in place at 3CR. I have seen many come and go and this lot will for certain roll on the day!

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 03:06:51 PM »
The drive show presenter needs to go. Very behind the times and his show is stuck in a time warp.

Is that the strange man who makes bizarre nudge-nudge references to the Wonderbra factory in the trail to his show?

Perhaps we should write to him and tell him he has his knockers...

mel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 12:15:10 AM »
Is that the strange man who makes bizarre nudge-nudge references to the Wonderbra factory in the trail to his show?

Perhaps we should write to him and tell him he has his knockers...

Hi Darcy, I thought that kind of humor was dead and buried.

Ive never heard him myself and I dont think I want to.

Why and how can the BBC allow him to be so stupid.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter