Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  David Dimbleby being honest with Richard Bacon.  (Read 2076 times)

Tiger

• View Profile
David Dimbleby being honest with Richard Bacon.
« on: November 19, 2013, 04:31:40 PM »
His Dimblebyness talks to young pup, Bacon about Sailing and The sea. his tattoo (yawn I am sure he is bored by coverage now)Russel Brand, his broadcasting history and his style(sorry Richard Bacon nothing that can be copied!) and the BBC.

David D is clearly very comfortable in his skin and was refreshingly honest(I would not expect anything less)

Main points.

BBC must admit to making mistakes and deal with them in order to keep public trust.

The River Pagent coverage was truly horrible, he explains some of the causes.

When asked whether he had symathy for Chris Patten. He said he would ony really have sympathy for him if Patten had been unaware of what he was taking on...(translation no!)

He clearly considers Tony Hall with high regard, however.

BBC too big and should reconsider its web presence, regarding news, because as Ms May said last week it threatens local paper news.

BBC must scale this back for sake of democracy, he suggested part of the licence fee should go to a Channel 4 type station.

BBC4 and BBC2 could merge to produce a proper high quality channel of culture.

He was cool and calm juxtaposed to Bacon who seemed to excitedly over question at the end, presumably with an eye on the scoop. Which he probably did get.

Listen again not yet up,

But 2 clips here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01ltf5z

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01ltdyx

David Pearson

• View Profile
Re: David Dimbleby being honest with Richard Bacon.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 04:49:36 PM »
I'd be interested to hear what others think about his comments regarding "scaling back" for the sake of "democracy"? It seems in some way to be endorsing the views of Grant Schapps a couple of weeks back who suggested that the BBC should lose part of its licence fee (perhaps to other broadcasters). The BBC has to be seen to be earning the right to the Licence Fee and there are currently questions about its integrity. David Dimbleby used to head up his own family's group of local newspapers - a family business - which he reportedly sold for a reported 12m back in 2001. Perhaps he still has some allegiances to local newspapers?

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 06:36:18 PM »
I agree with you David, and had the same thoughts while listening.

The fact that the BBC is a publicly funded broadcaster and should deliver for that public is the central issue. There is no reason why they should fail to deliver that service on all platforms. That should be respected as an impartial news source. And should not really be blamed for the decline in other areas. It is not really valid when scrutinised. I probably think that most people buy their local newspapers for many reasons and the headline stories that are local and reported by the BBC ,probably have little impact.

It could be more to do with investment issues and those who could regenerate the local newspaper market are wary, thinking everyone wants to get info online. That is probably not true, certainly of a more senior demographic. The local press is about covering school events and fundraising and the detail of localness, the fact that they do not take on the bigger issues in their communities has been a general trend downwards, proper investagitive local journalism at the grass root will always be valuable. I suppose the problem is that the idea of news has become instant receipt, and local papers should perhaps not give up and really start local initiatives, which a website will never compete with? And we are in the thing called recession which means that advertisers, and investors are less engaged? Or could it be that the public is more interested in celebrity culture etc?  Hope those questions and others will be put to DD by the press etc.

Bacon Broadcast is now here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03hww1z

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 02:02:49 PM »
This was a fascinating interview, Bacon stumbling into it as usual, I'm pretty sure he wasn't expecting Dimbleby to air these views.

Roy Greenslade has commented again as he did after May spoke the other week

The call for BBC websites to be slimmed down to protect the future of local papers ignores the grievous mistakes made down the years by profit-seeking publishers.

As for the nationals, Dimbleby is echoing a concern that is regularly aired by newspaper owners and editors. But is the threat real?

My opinion - because I cannot prove it one way or the other - is that the BBC site does offer tough competition to papers. Day after day, it produces a comprehensive round-up of domestic and international news. It also offers comment through a range of blogs.

I am not sure whether it lures readers away from newspaper websites. I certainly don't think that if it removed its foreign news coverage that papers would take up the slack.

It is difficult, however, to imagine any government of whatever hue requiring the country's public service news organisation to stop transmitting news through a digital platform.

We in newspapers just have to live with it. We offer so much that is so different from what the BBC does. We are partisan. We campaign. We investigate. We offer bold commentary plus lengthy analysis and interpretation.

Strangling the BBC is not the answer to our industry's problems.

I am just guessing here but this is likely to be the only place in the national press today you will see a criticism of Dimblebys words?  He asks 'is the threat real?'  The answer is probably - with a Conservative controlled government and a hostile right of centre press - that it doesn't matter.  That's to say facts are not going to get in the way of those who do want a scaling back.

His comments were slightly odd I thought, he gave Lord Tone a big-up and yet was concerned at the thought of one person having so much control over a huge media organisation, who can he um err erm have been um er thinking of I wonder...  So yes I would have liked to have heard his reasoning for citing the danger to democracy.

Bizarre comments about local press too, questioning the removal of local council advertising - did he say they lost 25% of their income? - that's an awful lot of what was effectively a public money subsidy.  And it was still worth 12m to him when he sold it...

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 02:25:58 PM »
On the subject of local news etc and Theresa May, it seems that Maria Miller has slapped May a bit, good for her!

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/nov/21/maria-miler-dismisses-bbc-attacks

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter