Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  BBC Radio 2 To Promote Gary Barlow For A Day  (Read 6058 times)

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
BBC Radio 2 To Promote Gary Barlow For A Day
« on: November 25, 2013, 11:20:22 PM »
The headline is from Radio Today and probably says it all as fresh from organising a gig for Children In Need Gazza gets the chance to indulge himself shortly before Christmas.

Spending time with Ken Bruce & Steve Wright before a live gig in the evening.  Will it work out any better than the Twitter Q&A organised ahead of his new album release in which he was flooded with tax avoidance questions?

Admittedly Bruce and Wright are not journos but will they really be able to ignore the elephant in the room?

mel

• View Profile
Re: BBC Radio 2 To Promote Gary Barlow For A Day
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 11:47:43 PM »
So it will be a huge promo for his new CD.

If he had that amount of advertising on a commercial station he`d have to pay big bucks and he`s getting it for free on the BBC.

Once again its mine and other licence fee payers money being misused just to aid some "over rated " person.

I suppose some unsophisticated music loving people will rush out and buy his CD in time for Christmas . . . . . .  I know I wont.

mel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 03:36:05 PM »
Gary Barlow with his new band.

"Oh those meerkats will do anything for some cheap publicity"  :D

David Pearson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 06:46:11 PM »
Mel, I agree with the general point you make - there certainly does seem to be more than enough Barlow to go around at the moment! I think it's right that questions should be asked about giving so much prominence to just one artist. But equally, I think you are being dismissive by referring to fans of Gary Barlow as "unsophisticated". He may not be to your taste, but you can't deny his popularity, particularly among the core listenership of Radio 2. Perhaps his marketing people have been more vocal than those of other artists?

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 10:28:46 PM »
And, David ,what is your reply to Mel and Darcy's central point about promotion on the BBC? That would be about integrity.

mel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 09:31:02 AM »
I guess I was a little too harsh on those who appreciate the music of Gary Barlow, Im sure a lot of people think he`s wonderful.
As a former member of a "BoyBand" he`s  gone a long way to prove to the public his true worth.

My argument is with the BBC to allow themselves to be manipulated into giving free advertising to anyone with a Book / CD  or  DVD   a free platform to promote themselves on.
Some plugs are made for TV shows on non BBC TV stations, stations owned by someone who would love to see the break up of the BBC.

David Pearson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 04:33:03 PM »
Mel and Tiger, thank you for your replies. I agree that the integrity of the BBC could be questioned if one artist is given undue prominence. The BBC got into trouble for this in 2010 when covering the launch of U2's album

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/6983787/BBC-admits-its-promotion-of-U2-album-was-inappropriate.html

So I think it remains to be seen whether someone makes a fuss about Gary Barlow and if the BBC makes the same mistakes this time around.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 08:21:49 PM »
Well for a start, however much prominence the fella gets I'd just like to feel confident he's paying his fair share of tax for that OBE.

Lets look at this.  BBC Events and Barlow organised the Queens Diamond Jubilee concert.  Barlow organised this years Children In Need concert.  Wasn't there also a BBC TV series that followed him around the commonwealth putting together a song for the Diamond Jubilee?

And his new album is just coming out and here he is popping up on Radio 2 for a day.

For a fella who's last album sold around 200,000 copies in the UK (population 64m) doesn't it seem a wee bit like he's being foisted upon us?

Of course, he does a lot of great work for charidy.

There's a wry article in the Indy about 1 Direction being on both the Radio 1 & Radio 2 playlists (and the local stations too, along with Bazza).

Random quote:

The pictures on Radio 2's playlist website are like the ghosts of ideal Christmas futures for One Direction. There's Gary Barlow, sitting pensively at his piano,  waiting for the inspiration for another bland ballad to hit. And there's the one they'd  all like to be, Elton - once, like Take That, a Radio 1  evergreen.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 08:23:35 PM by darcysarto »

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 08:57:47 PM »
"Oh those meerkats will do anything for some cheap publicity"  :D

In the interests of balance Mel I have to put a Barlow antidote on this thread, given that he's just started with the Mumford schtick, expect Gazza to do something like this in 5 years time.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 07:25:48 PM »
Well it seems Radio 2 have put their meerkats ferrets in reverse and cut back on some of their Gary Barlow day.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/dec/06/bbc-gary-barlow-day-radio-2

Gone is the appearance on the Steve Wright show and the live Q & A and they've apparently amended the website to not describe him as a national treasure. 

Of course Gary being the modest chap he is may have requested it's removal.  Does anyone know if you have to pay tax on national treasure?

Oliii

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 02:59:20 PM »
I guess I was a little too harsh on those who appreciate the music of Gary Barlow, Im sure a lot of people think he`s wonderful.
As a former member of a "BoyBand" he`s  gone a long way to prove to the public his true worth.

Ooooh, I'm not so sure  :)

Northoftheborder

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 06:44:04 PM »
Of course not to be outdone, Radio Stoke have declared today as "Robbie Williams Day", to help mark his 40th birthday. There were plenty of "exciting" features, you know?

Strangely, no actual input from Mr. Williams himself. The station's Perry Spoiler did manage a live three hour outside broadcast from Robbie's home town of Burslem - which included large pre-recorded chunks of an interview with Robbie's dad. OMG that must have been such a riveting performance for the massed crowds to watch.

Fortunately not all normal programming was disrupted though - Perry found time to whip the audience up with "Hungry Eyes" half way through his show. Eric Carmen's non-hit was last played around the same time (11:30 ish) this Saturday morning. Radio Stoke? More like Radio Joke, if you ask me.

Dennis Marshall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 12:35:52 PM »
Robbie Williams was indeed conspicuously absent from his own birthday celebrations, as you quite rightly say. 'Perry Spoiler' appeared to be at first a 'typo' but the more I consider her words, 'Northoftheborder' has described Mr. Spiller's 'style' more than adequately.

The whole concept of an outside broadcast, in celebration of the 40th birthday of a local 'star' sounds dubious at best - and more than just a little 'commercial radio-orientated'. If the BBC is genuinely so concerned with 'efficient use' of our licence fee - as were are frequently told - then why not leave this kind of programming (and the expense it no doubt entails) to the commercial sector?

The devotion of so much of an outside broadcast to replaying an already-recorded interview is as nonsensical as she describes, too. Further squandering of valuable resources, especially considering this necessitated hiring an outside broadcast bus, from elsewhere within the BBC. This was part of a week-long promotion (entitled 'Love Bus') presumably drawing weakly upon St. Valentine's Day.

By all means promote your local broadcast area, and seize valuable opportunities to meet your audience. Some of the feedback that Gary Andrews claims to be so interested in, may even be received. Just one small problem, however. During the whole five days, not once was any part of Cheshire visited. Does the station's Service Licence not clearly state both Staffordshire and Cheshire to be covered?

An omission so glaringly obvious, we could not help but notice it - even down in Staffordshire. Whilst the concept of 'fair play' appears to have been jettisoned long ago by those managing Radio Stoke, some listeners still identify proudly with these 'old-fashioned' values.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 06:41:40 PM »
Oh dear, well it looks like Gary's latest single has burst straight into the top 200 at no. 129!  Doing even worse than that old staple of dire playlists everywhere, Hungry Eyes.  That said, his album, was a big seller, so well done Radio 2.

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2014-04-24/garys-latest-single-is-a-chart-flop/

Gary Barlow has achieved what is thought to be his worst ever performance in the UK singles chart - failing to even make the top 100. The Take That singer and former X Factor judge released Since I Saw You Last last week, the third release from his album of the same name.

But despite extensive airplay, the track only charted at 129. It has performed even more poorly than his previous single Face To Face, a collaboration with Sir Elton John which made it to number 80 in January.

His new single had been given a place on the A playlist for Britain's biggest radio station, Radio 2, which would mean it would be played between 15 and 20 times to the station's audience. But the track didn't make the weekend's Official Singles Chart and its low placing has now emerged.

However, Gary Barlow can take some comfort from the strong sales for his album - his first solo effort for 14 years - which was 2013's ninth biggest seller.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 09:49:02 PM »
Well congratulations to Mr. Barlow!  After meeting with James Corden on BBC1 last weekend he now has songs at numbers 22, 65 and 69 in this weeks singles chart and his album has gone back up 38 places in the album chart and is now a No.2

Congratulations also to HMRC.

Gary Barlow and two other members of Take That face having to pay tens of millions of pounds to the Revenue after a court decided yesterday that they were members of a massive tax avoidance scheme.

Barlow, Howard Donald, Mark Owen and their manager, Jonathan Wild, poured 66 million into two partnerships styled as music-industry investment schemes but which were artificial tax shelters for the super-rich.

The partnerships, set up by a company called Icebreaker Management, allowed the musicians to avoid tax on about 63 million from world tours and CD sales. The Take That members are likely to be ordered to repay more than 20 million to HM Revenue & Customs.

Barlow, Donald and Owen are no strangers to tax avoidance, having sheltered about 6.5 million in a "highly aggressive" tax scheme called Liberty. In both schemes, Barlow, who was appointed OBE in 2012 for services to music and charity, was the biggest investor of the group members.

A tax judge rejected arguments that more than 50 Icebreaker partnerships had been set up for commercial purposes or for profit. Almost 1,000 investors sheltered more than 300 million through the scheme.

"Icebreaker is, and was known and understood by all concerned to be, a tax avoidance scheme," Judge Colin Bishopp said. "The aim was to secure [tax] relief for members, and to inflate the scale of the relief by unnecessary borrowing."

The judge found that Icebreaker members ramped up their investments through "entirely circular" loans taken out with Barclays and SG Hambros banks. The loans, of up to 80 per cent, "served no useful purpose" but to inflate the money spent by the partnerships, which could then be used by members to offset against their other tax bills.

None of the Icebreaker partnerships made any profit, the judge found, despite investing in a range of artists from complete unknowns to well-known musicians such as Sinead O'Connor.

"No serious or even moderately sophisticated investor, genuinely seeking a profit . . . would rationally have chosen an Icebreaker partnership," he said. "The predominant purpose of entering the scheme was "to achieve a tax saving".

The court's decision is the latest victory for HMRC against organised tax avoidance schemes. Martin Taylor, of the Rebus Group, said that Icebreaker members "should expect to receive demands for repayment of any tax relief in the immediate future", adding that the average investor would have to pay as much as 357,000.

Barlow, Donald, Wild and Owen stand to repay a lot more.

Their involvement was revealed by The Times in 2012, when accounts filed by Larkdale, one of the scheme's partnerships, showed that they invested 26 million, including loans of 20.8 million. Accounts from a second Icebreaker partnership, Shirecroft, later revealed that the band members put in an extra 40 million, made up of cash and a large offshore bank loan.

Shirecroft spent the money buying and exploiting the rights to a range of music ventures, including an album of soothing music called Tranquil Moon, which is selling for 89p, a collection of Irish songs called Celtic Skies, and You & I, a Basque folk album.

Matt Hodson, then working on behalf of Icebreaker, told an undercover reporter from The Times in 2012 that the Take That members "invested money into the Icebreaker partnership and therefore [have] not paid the Revenue the tax. They don't like paying the taxman."

Asked how they had joined Icebreaker, Mr Hodson said: "Meetings with their accountant. They've got a tax adviser and an accountant. The tax adviser is a client of mine. We then got the accountant for the band in, had about four meetings with him. Then we got a couple of the boys in."

There is no suggestion that the other Take That members, Jason Orange and Robbie Williams, were investors.

Yesterday's judgment applies to 51 Icebreaker partnerships formed between 2004 and 2010. The first Take That partnership, Larkdale, is expressly included. Shirecroft, founded in 2011, is not. Experts said they expected the decision to apply to all Icebreaker partnerships.

A typical Icebreaker partnership contains about 10 million from about a dozen investors, which is used to buy music rights. Other high-profile investors include Terry Venables, the former England football manager. His spokesman said in 2012 that his tax affairs were perfectly in order. A spokesman for Icebreaker Management said: "This decision puts valuable funding for the UK's independent music industry in jeopardy."

The Take That members did not comment. In 2012 their lawyers said the stars paid significant tax and did not believe they were investing in avoidance schemes.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter