Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  BBC Radio 2 To Promote Gary Barlow For A Day  (Read 5814 times)

Tiger

• View Profile
Re: BBC Radio 2 To Promote Gary Barlow For A Day
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2014, 11:28:33 PM »
Well, awkward! I guess the person backing Barlow at the BBC( AND MY GOSH WE HAVE HAD SO MUCH!) probably needs to be named..could the first name start with a D? and the last name it could be a C? (Ps not Dianne Coyle!!)

Dennis Marshall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2014, 08:40:04 AM »
Frequently we are assured of Gary's song-writing 'skills', but if Mr. Barlow wishes to cement his 'national treasure' status, should he consider releasing a cover version?

mel

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2014, 11:59:31 AM »
Well, awkward! I guess the person backing Barlow at the BBC( AND MY GOSH WE HAVE HAD SO MUCH!) probably needs to be named..could the first name start with a D? and the last name it could be a C? (Ps not Dianne Coyle!!)

Hi Tiger. Now our prime minister has said "No Need For Gary Barlow To Hand Back His OBE"
The prime minister went on to say "Gary Barlow Has Done So Much For Charity".
Seems like Mr Barlow has a really good PR man getting him all this "good will" publicity.

Or could this be because its thought that Barlow supports the Tory party ? ? ?

Northoftheborder

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2014, 05:13:31 PM »
All publicity is good publicity, right? Checking out one of my BBC local stations today, that Perry Spiller asked his audience: Should Gary Barlow be stripped of his OBE? He later carefully reworded that to: Should Gary hand his OBE back? Perhaps they're now monitoring what's said, at long last!

Alongside this (and the obligatory montage of Take That music) Perry asked what records could be "adapted to fit" Gary Barlow's predicament. I've got to admit that I just couldn't be bothered, but this didn't stop one of Radio Stoke's regular contributors (it wasn't Linda, though) from contributing her thoughts. Via e-mail, too! Complete with reminder of studio.stoke@bbc.co.uk. Are things are starting to look up, eventually?

After reading her comments, he moved along to her music choices. "Then Steph goes on to miss the point... How about Supertramp, Give a Little Bit Back? Or the Spice Girls, Too Much - or Who Do You Think You Are?" However Perry assured us it had to be Take That songs, or (like Steph) we'd miss the point! But is another point at risk of being missed here?

Do we seriously need to hear any more Take That (or Gary Barlow) than we already have to put up with? Granted their music has sold a fair few copies, although not all of Gary Barlow's solo material has fared quite so well, has it? Maybe you could perhaps argue that all the combined airplay - across the BBC - would have generated sufficient income as it was (before this issue cropped up) but I don't think the repayment of royalties works quite like that!

I'm with my fellow Radio Stoke sufferer listener on this one, with the temptation of linking to one of the Spice Girls' videos being something I can barely resist! Maybe Dennis will oblige? Joking apart, at least another listener managed (dared?) to enquire about the possibility of hearing one of the Spice Girls' nine number one hits! Can't beat an optimistic outlook, can you?

Of course Perry never did "spice up" his playlist - but he didn't find time to play anything (in full) by Take That, although the montage was dusted off again, a couple of hours later! Wonder if any of this negative publicity will have any lasting impact, on how much Take That music local radio audiences have to endure? Is that a good point to end, on that "taxing" note?

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 08:35:32 PM »
Here's Zoe Williams and Matthew Parris on PM discussing it.  Did I imagine it or does Matthew actually use Jimmy Savile as some kind of yardstick against which those with 'honours' should be measured.  Zoe does well, Matthew disappears down his own slippery slope.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 08:37:20 PM by BBCRadioForum »

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2014, 08:54:35 PM »
It's been reported on various BBC news programmes that Gary Barlow tweeted an apology for avoiding paying tax.  These are his tweets, they read from the bottom up - apart from reading as though he's replaced the rest of Take That with bean counters - is this an apology for avoiding paying tax or an apology to anyone if they were offended by it?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter