Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  Wake up to Money  (Read 1493 times)

Robert

• View Profile
Wake up to Money
« on: November 26, 2013, 08:11:19 AM »
Having to wake up at a ridiculously early time one recent morning, and feeling that R4's dulcit tones of lamb rearing in Autumn wasn't going to help clear my mind of sleep, I switched to 5live, which isn't a common occurence. My heart sank when I heard that it was the business and finance programme 'Wake up to Money'. I hadn't heard this (or heard of it) before, but I am undoubtably no finance finatic. And yet, I actually soon found myself thoroughly enjoying it.

Clear and welcoming to a layman's ears, I found the presenter (Adam Parsons, I think it was?) did an excellent job in making finance and the economy so palatable at such an unreasonable hour!

Interesting subjet matter as well; they looked at London's 'superport', promising to revive our fluttering economy and put a firecracker in the market! It will also mean that London is once again our largest port, for the first time in decades - although of course that was once the norm. The superport is also three times the size of the city of London ...  :o If nothing else, its going to be employing a whole load of people.

Did anyone else listen? Is this a well-known, and long-loved gem?

Robert

• View Profile
Re: Wake up to Money
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 02:58:36 PM »
Another gudn' this morning! I almost look forward to getting up at sparrow's fart twice a week now.

Anyone else realised the DOW jones hit records highs this week? This must be good news. For capitalism at least ... I even found myself browing "Quotenet.com" at work, http://www.quotenet.com/   :o

In less good news, it is thought that npower are going to announce job losses of over 1000 this weekend ... while their energy prices rise this weekend. Not going to be a great weekend for all.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 08:12:00 PM »
Sounds like a really good program, Robert, and you are engaged clearly.

BBC are clearly doing well with economics at this early hour. I guess it is of  particular interest to those in trading, hence the early airing.

And the public do need to know, with a helpful hand, how our economy operates, information and understanding increases accountability.

Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 06:32:10 PM »
Wake up to Money is one of my favourite shows. It is always engaging and all the issues are presented in such a way that you find yourself listening intently to topics you wouldn't normally care about.
It's certainly educational, and I'm sure it helps to understand how this country ticks on a day-to-day basis.
Could it be formatted for television, I wonder, so that the entertainment is kept.? Would be an improvement on the old Sunday evening BBC2 show 'The Money Programme.'

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter