Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  Lost & Found  (Read 2704 times)

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
Lost & Found
« on: December 02, 2013, 03:07:46 PM »
Well I don't know about Albert but I was very nearly in pieces during this one, which is a problem when you're in an office full of people.

Tom Courtenay & Sally Carmen are incredible, as is Ian Kershaw's writing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03jz22c

A tender and humorous drama about how a father and daughter explore the memories of the past in order to connect in the present.

Albert

• View Profile
Re: Lost & Found
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 02:44:41 AM »
Thanks for pointing this one out darcy.

I was listening today but with others in the room who wanted to chat it was difficult and I gave up. It didn't seem to grab me anyway, but perhaps that was just my circumstances.

So I write this at 2:30am having just listened to the play in a more peaceful atmosphere. Yes, it's a nicely made piece and I would expect no less from Gary Brown and of course Tom Courtenay. The story is a bit hyperbolic but I suppose I am trying to see it as being too real to life, having been very much in the situation of the daughter.

This is of course a lovely play and I would say it needs full attention, which indeed it commanded of me when I got the chance to properly listen. Again, thanks for bringing it to attention.

The story somehow reminded me of Lucy Spraggan's song Tea And Toast which I recommend is well worth a listen (excuse the X-Factor thing):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_383868&feature=iv&src_vid=egBlPQpo6H4&v=mc4JJ4nIRk4

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 08:07:19 AM »
Hi Albert, I'm so glad you enjoyed it.  And yes that Lucy Spraggan track is worth a listen, you are excused the x factor thing  :)

mel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 09:13:13 AM »
Hi Albert, I'm so glad you enjoyed it.  And yes that Lucy Spraggan track is worth a listen, you are excused the x factor thing  :)

Hi Albert / Darcy,

I just love Lucy Spraggan, its a great shame the wrong people win these silly talent shows but at least the x factor brought Lucy to the publics attention.

I saw Lucy live and she was wonderful. Im now going to listen to Lost & Found.

This is Lucy`s video of "Tea and Toast" , it brings tears to your eyes.

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 02:33:26 PM »
If you will permit me to go off topic just a bit:

Regarding the Lucy Spraggan video: I love Lucy and her songs (I'll be seeing her live in February - can't wait!) but I don't feel the Tea & Toast. video does the song justice. It's nice but that's it. A bit like the difference between a good play on BBC Radio 4 against a drama/film on television - sometimes you just can't beat the pictures and the emotions that appear in your mind when listening to the radio. I felt the same with Tea & Toast. I was disappointed by the video and prefer to listen to the singer playing live for her own interpretation and emotions.

I am somehow surprised that contributors to this board are Lucy fans too!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 10:40:46 AM by Albert »

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 06:48:15 PM »
This was featured in Pick of the Week.

I've had further thoughts about this one. I think it was dumbed-down and over simplified the issue of dementia. I doubt it can ever be as clear cut as was portraye here.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 08:26:07 AM »
I'm sorry to hear you feel that way Albert.

We can only ever try to walk a mile in someone else's ears but for me this was a play about love and loss? Perhaps the role of dementia was poorly cast, I do not know enough to say in these ears.  I know I was touched though by the expressions of love, the father and his lost wife, the daughter and her longing to find her dad, the moments of little joys that linger in our memories.  Then again I am a soppy old sod!

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 03:43:53 PM »
There have been so many excellent plays covering this subject, so perhaps I was looking for even more from this play than it delivered to me. Of course I did pick up on the relationship between father and daughter, and the characters and the story were all wonderful.

I was a bit churlish I have to admit.

Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 11:32:38 PM »
(Thread resurrection)

At long last I've discovered for myself Radio 4 Extra. And this little beaut was on tonight:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03jz22c

The opening words sum it up nicely: "A tender and humorous drama....." but of course it's more than that.

I'm not sure I listened to this properly the last time (see above). I don't think I could have. Certainly not properly. Anyway, I have just realised again why I don't have a TV in the house.

This link says it better than I ever could:

http://dementia.stir.ac.uk/blogs/diametric/2015-03-19/lost-property-and-misplaced-memories-ian-kershaws-lost-and-found

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter