Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  Happy New Year! To BBC Local Radio.  (Read 2105 times)

Tiger

• View Profile
Happy New Year! To BBC Local Radio.
« on: January 01, 2014, 12:47:51 AM »
Thankyou very much to all those who have contributed to this forum and those who have signed the petition, it is much appreciated. X

BBC local radio should be respected and protected and I hope that it is by the management that are trusted to look after it. They have to realise that they are only temporary custodians and I hope they are able to serve the listeners with integrity in 2014.

JY

• View Profile
Re: Happy New Year! To BBC Local Radio.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 03:21:44 PM »
A Very Happy New Year to you Tiger and everyone on the forum we in the main are here for one reason and that's to fight for our BBC Local Radio and if there is ever a reason to carry on the fight its on January 7th which marks the 1st year of the awful England Evening Show and the likes of the Matthew Banister who has a very questionable past according to the press this week.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 05:08:36 PM »
Thankyou very much to all those who have contributed to this forum and those who have signed the petition, it is much appreciated. X

BBC local radio should be respected and protected and I hope that it is by the management that are trusted to look after it. They have to realise that they are only temporary custodians and I hope they are able to serve the listeners with integrity in 2014.

And a thank you to you Tiger and everyone else who has contributed, best wishes and peace to you all. X

mel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 01:15:56 PM »
Yes a happy new year to everyone on here and to everyone who reads the posts in this forum. Lets all try to make 2014 a little nicer.  xxx

Its this month my TV licence is due, I pay yearly the 145.50 to the BBC who is supposed to supply me with TV and Radio. Its something till now I didn't mind doing.

But with all the cut backs in local radio. The new format at Radio London. The amount of repeats on BBC TV and the over paid BBC managers has made me feel is it worth it ?.

But I must pay. I have no option. By law I must pay. If I don't pay I can end up in jail, and that's why the BBC can do as they please. They take our cash and put two fingers up to each and everyone of us.

So yes lets all have a great year. Except the BBC managers.

Northoftheborder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 06:00:02 PM »
Happy new year to one and all. As a relative newcomer to the forum, I'm still finding my feet. But it's reassuring to know some folk still care enough to stand their ground, and work tirelessly for an improved BBC local radio service.

I hoped to include local radio management in my wishes as well, but many of them seem less able than ever, to incorporate much 'happiness' within their output. The last year saw listeners to Radio Stoke lose the last few regular opportunities to request any of the station's music output.

Although this may seem a trivial matter to quibble over, it's a highly disturbing trend - especially as Radio Merseyside (and Radio Manchester) both seem more than willing to still allow music requesting - in prime weekend slots - that are both enjoyable to listen to AND popular with their listeners!

Another worrying aspect of Radio Stoke is their apparent inability to either recruit any worthwhile female talent, or to look after those women already employed. Soon after the sad demise of Paula White, the last fortnight has seen the mysterious, hurried departure of Breakfast Show co-host Katy O'Regan, after barely twelve months in the role. Now we have NO frontline female presenters.

Trying to conclude on a much more positive note, I sincerely trust Radio Stoke will not be slow in seeking out adequate replacements. We women are poorly-represented on-air as it is, and the best their management could come up with (so far) has been to utilise either a newsreader, or a travel presenter. Hopefully this may be just a short-term fix - but I'm not holding my breath!

Oh well, things can only get better, eh? Well, surely they can't get much worse! Here's hoping... xx

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 08:38:00 PM »
Dear Northoftheborder,

A happy New Year to you!

You seem to be finding your feet and making some very valid points.

I think the next few months are going to be significant, as the cuts made to the local stations are going to bite. There was a decision made to apply the reduced budget immediately, rather than phase it over a longer period. Which may put BBC local radio at some risk when services are under the spotlight coming up to charter renewal.

As to what you say about Stoke, I agree that Paula White has been a human casuality of the cuts, and was exposed and treated badly. I imagine that the managing editor will have to defend the fact that there is little female balance, esp in light of Tony Hall's instruction about female presenters at breakfast?

Interesting your comments about Radio Merseyside taking requests at the weekends etc. I am not sure whether you are aware, but that might no longer be possible soon because those shows had to depend upon volunteers to answer the phones, and it has been decided that can no longer be the case. Please see our data protection issues thread.

It seems to me that live weekend shows on the stations are probably under threat and that there is an agenda to phase them out in favour of prerecorded shows. I hope that I am not right because it is at off peak hours that many listeners depend on BBC local radio and interaction, esp by phone and in the form of requests etc and they often serve a demographic who would not be served elsewhere.

I would be interested in your other opinions about Stoke.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter