Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  The Mark Forrest Show - A Year On  (Read 4652 times)

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
The Mark Forrest Show - A Year On
« on: January 06, 2014, 10:15:40 PM »
Well it's happy birthday to the Mark Forrest show, a year old tomorrow for the national local radio evening bore-fest*

Another year, another 150,000+ for former BBC chaps Bannister & Husaini to inform, educate & entertain us.

Is it still a resounding 5/10?  Can I be bothered to listen to find out?

*Miranda Sawyer (The Observer)

Tiger

• View Profile
Re: The Mark Forrest Show - A Year On
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 11:02:16 PM »
Yes, a year on.

What to say! congratulations? a networked show on BBC local radio a contradiction in terms. Fantastic well done to those who support it.

And much sadness to those who relied on a local service and to those who worked so hard for so many years to provide that.

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 11:41:44 PM »
As much as I don't like the show (background noise for me), it does sound so much better when they have a different presenter. They seem to engage with the callers far better than Mark Forrest.
I was never a fan of Sue Marchant on the East region so the change really didn't bother me. She just didn't know how to present a show and fortunately is now off 3CR for good, even the ethnic shows sound better than her.... Roger Day on BBC South East region, however, was a class above and when I could I would re-tune to him.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 11:52:56 PM »
Problem is now that BBC local radio is in the hands of the commercial operators. They have no care for public service or anything to do with that. It is about the money, that is all they care about and something has to be done about that. But it will take people who actually care about BBC local radio to speak out.? And I suspect that will not happen. Without that voice the listeners are easily dismissed.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 09:49:09 PM »
Well congratulations are in order.  Yes, who would have believed it.

Shrewsbury 0 - 2 Leyton Orient in tonight's Forrest show opt out.

JY

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 12:59:28 PM »
It has felt like 10 years. This lame effort has to go down as THE worst programme decision plus the most questionable choice of a company to run it. Bring back the much missed and popular regional shows. The BBC are now the only ones who think that this still is a good idea. Speaks volumes really just how out of touch they really are.

Rita

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 03:40:20 PM »
Exactly Paul.  The BBC mangers have the audacity to,think that they know what we must like! - well no they don't actually and what's more they don't care!  It's a little bit like nepotism - but what can we do about it - but Lord Hall, in a recent speech said the BBC wants to get " closer to its audiences"  - and that's a load of rubbish as well!

mel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 06:18:48 PM »
Its a great shame the BBC cannot see the damage its done to itself by introducing "National" shows on local radio. By doing this its lost a huge amount of respect that will take years to put right.
To so many "Local Radio" is the most important radio station in there lives and to have it taken away only makes those listeners angry, especially when they pay to have it in the first place.

What can we do ?. . . Nothing, just pay your money (145.50) and live with what they give us.

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 08:30:48 PM »
Well , I am listening in tonite.

I have to wonder why? Mark Forrest is in Norwich(ok no giggling!)

He is covering the Star Gazing fest.

A couple of points here..

1. Star Gazing probably does not work well on radio!

2. BBC2 is covering this and guess what they have pictures.

I am stunned that given the massive issues with flooding etc that someone has decided that it is better to serve the local audiences with this than do something about the havoc around the country?

And guess what, it is raining and cloudy.

The last song I heard Mark playing was Gloria I will Survive Gaynor, hmmm, the travel reports are reporting a car crash in East Anglia!

RoamingRay

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 08:44:38 PM »
It does sound a bit daft to try Star-gazing on the radio...

As to the programme and presenter in general, it's bland, safe and above all, cheap. But that does not make it right. Tony Hall has a lot on his plate but I do hope he gets round to looking properly at the networked sustaining feeds and looks at all the comments - I'm sure there are a number of managing editors and station managers that would love to stay opted out of this drivel but they all have bills to pay, like the rest of us.

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 09:45:44 PM »
Why didn't they just add two regions together, like East and South East, West and South West etc. It wouldn't have saved so much but the listener would relate more to the areas rather than now were someone in Cornwall is listening to a story about Newcastle.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 09:55:31 PM »

I have to wonder why? Mark Forrest is in Norwich(ok no giggling!)

The last song I heard Mark playing was Gloria I will Survive Gaynor, hmmm, the travel reports are reporting a car crash in East Anglia!

Ahaaa.

I'm guessing it was a Rover or a Lexus involved.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 10:01:20 PM »
It does sound a bit daft to try Star-gazing on the radio...

As to the programme and presenter in general, it's bland, safe and above all, cheap. But that does not make it right. Tony Hall has a lot on his plate but I do hope he gets round to looking properly at the networked sustaining feeds and looks at all the comments - I'm sure there are a number of managing editors and station managers that would love to stay opted out of this drivel but they all have bills to pay, like the rest of us.

Well, yes, but it's one of those 'events' they like to do and to get the best value for money out of it they have to spread it thinly across the platforms, I seem to remember them doing it last year and it was cloudy then.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 10:16:00 PM by darcysarto »

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 10:03:46 PM »
I have no idea? But have to report having stayed with the Mark F Show tonite, I have to report that the car crash is quite serious in East Anglia.

It is still cloudy and raining, so all the local stations brought together to witness this on radio? must be gutted?, given the fact that anyone interested would have been watching on BBC2.

This is probably the most absurd program that I have ever heard on radio. And Mark has just conducted interviews with the most patronising people I have ever heard about the importance of being a nerd about the stars, one of them even sang a song, about it being cloudy and not being able to see the actual stars!

I would imagine that anyone on planet Earth in charge of this shambles, should have covered the star gazey as maybe a 10 min segment linking to a local presenter in Norwich and possibly would have checked the weather forecast?

The word is embarrassing.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 10:20:59 PM »
It's ok though as it's not just an event it's also News: Stargazing Live: Astronomy invention given away free.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter