Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  Today: Humphrys, Robinson & Farage  (Read 903 times)

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
Today: Humphrys, Robinson & Farage
« on: January 07, 2014, 09:39:46 PM »
Just thought I share this blog post, former Today editor Kevin Marsh described it as 'the daftest piece' he's read in a long time.  Unfortunately, he declined to expand on that view, presumably he's too busy not reading anything by John Pilger...

"I believe [the BBC] was too slow to detect and reflect public concern and anger a decade or more ago," Nick Robinson told Today presenter John Humphries this morning.

The BBC was, as usual, shamelessly promoting its own documentary on immigration, with Robinson offering a personal (?) view on the corporation's own coverage of the topic.

Afterwards they had Nigel Farage on. God knows why. It was like the sound of a nation having a nervous breakdown. The leader of a fringe party really had no place doing the post 8am slot on a topic which really has nothing to do with him. Perhaps it was scheduled to disprove Robinson's argument in real time.

Dangerously, it became quite difficult to figure out who was asking questions and who was answering them. Robinson, Humphries and Farage all sounded like interviewer and interviewee, all on the same page.

But what was really troubling was Robinson's seeming inability to understand the function of the BBC. The job of the Beeb is not to reflect public views. It is to provide accurate information so they can come to their own view. Robinson has joined the ignoble ranks of those who want politics to be about perception rather than reality. Tellingly, the vast majority of such people are politicians. After all these years in Westminster, perhaps he's gone native.

Late last year, Theresa May was challenged on the fact that health tourism costs just 0.01% of the NHS budget. She refused to "quantify the problem" and said the public believes "there is an issue out there". In other words, truth doesn't matter. What is perceived to be true is what counts.

It's just a short skip and jump from that position to the one held by Iain Duncan Smith on the absence of a causal link between the welfare cap and people looking for work.  "I have a belief I am right," he said. "You cannot absolutely prove those two things are connected - you cannot disprove what I said. I believe this to be right." IDS was forming government policy in the epicentre of his circular thoughts.

The sense that the BBC - or any other media outlet - should be seeking to reflect public sentiments about immigration rather than help the public form them is particularly galling given the public is startlingly misinformed about the subject.

Continues here...

Anyone any idea what's upset Kevin, seems there's some very reasonable points made here?

« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 09:46:33 PM by darcysarto »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter