Username:  Password: 
Login with Social Media Follow BBCRadioForum on Twitter

Author Topic:  Gillian Reynold not happy with Radio 2's new women!  (Read 4593 times)

Len Groat

• View Profile
    • Solid Gold Gem AM
    • Email
Gillian Reynold not happy with Radio 2's new women!
« on: January 12, 2014, 05:21:35 PM »
Gillian Reynolds, is one of the most revered women in UK radio. She has been a Programme Controller (Radio City in the 1970s), and for decades a critic writing on all radio.

In 2013 the Radio Academy, elected her as one of the top 40 most important people in UK commercial radio 1973-2013 

But it seems she is not happy with Radio 2s move to more women presenters.

http://fw.to/mfiGyqF

It seems some 'sisters' are not 'doing it for themselves' or for Ms Reynolds, or indeed the listeners, as she states:

"Radio 2s Sunday nights changed, Bob Shennan says from necessity, I think for the worse. Clare Teal is a good singer. As host of a new two-hour show shes embarrassing".

"Shennan made a star signing this year in Clare Balding,... Good Morning Sunday, once a religious programme, was recalibrated for her, becoming "spiritually inclined". Baldings undoubted gifts are not shown to advantage here."

These appointments follow 2 years of the BBC pandering to feminist pressure-groups and as this forum has discussed, "Lord Tony" has decreed he wants 50% Women presenters on BBC Local Radio breakfast shows by "Autumn 2014".

MOST IMPORTANTLY: In unnaturally, speedily, elevating women into radio presenter roles, presumably the BBC will be paying them equal wages to their male counterparts? Will this be despite the fact they are much newer, and less experienced having been speedily elevated to the role, having got it by "feminist default"??

I also enlarge on the issue of exactly WHAT the BBC has paid/pays its local radio presenters in the Blog about all this:

http://lengroat.blogspot.com/2014/01/some-sisters-are-not-doing-it-for.html

Len
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 05:32:08 PM by Len Groat »
'Rado guru' from the days before there WERE 'radio gurus'! 1969 hospital/uni radio, 1974-1994 on ILR before the 'local' was eradicated ~ now on Internet Radio www.solidgoldgem.am

Tiger

• View Profile
Re: Gillian Reynold not happy with Radio 2's new women!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 09:18:33 PM »
Hi Len,

I have read this article as well.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culture-review-of-the-year/10516585/Radio-review-of-the-year-2013-women-on-top.html

It celebrates many many female presenters.

And quite rightly Gillian is objective and does not celebrate Clare Teal and the placing of Clare Balding. But she is reporting Bob Shennan when she talks about a winning daytime line up? And I think she makes a point listing many female presenters who are only allowed to deputize. She also praises Cerys Matthews. I do not understand your statement "But It seems she is not happy with Radio2s move to more women presenters" ??

I loved her comment about Eddie Mair.

"There is not, I regret to say, a woman presenter to match the wit, bite, invention and editorial weight of PMs Eddie Mair. Now I think of it, theres no man, either. But heres a name to watch: Linda Yueh, new BBC chief business correspondent. "

And I agree with her!

It is important, I agree , that we know what BBC local radio is paying some of it's presenters, especially those who are freelance and are considered to be "names".recently drafted in, they are all male BTW.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 09:54:26 PM »
Len, truly I'm at a loss to understand where you are coming from here?  Is it 1973 when Gillian started?

Reynolds article celebrates many female radio people and yet you've chosen to pick on the two that she puts a question mark over as some kind of proof that there is, well, what exactly?

I've no idea who Clare Teal is but a quick look around tells me she's been hosted Big Band Special on Radio 2 since 2005, Sunday Night at 10 since 2009  as well as contributing to Friday Night Is Music Night, hardly an overnight elevation?

Emma Britten at BBC Somerset, the second only female brekkie presenter after Liz Green at Leeds, has been at Somerset since 2003, seems to me she's as much earned the break as anyone else female or male?  And anyway, isn't radio a team game in the locals, doesn't everyone have a part to play?

Strangely enough Len, there is such a thing as the Equal Pay Act 1970.  Groovy!   Replaced by the Equality act in 2010.  Fab!  Do you have a problem with these Daddio because they've been forge through the sweat and hard work of a lot of people over decades?

I'd be happy to consider your evidence of 'feminist default', whatever that may be?

Len Groat

• View Profile
    • Solid Gold Gem AM
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 11:07:08 PM »
"Len, truly I'm at a loss to understand where you are coming from here?"

Easy.

"Lord" Tony is pushing for 50% female breakfast presenters on BBC Local by (and I quote) "Autumn 2014"*

But ..... at the same time.... even their flagship service cannot get good female staff - as Gillian Reynold's points out. That is a very informed opinion on this, from a WOMAN.

What chance is there enough GOOD female presenters can be found by this Autumn?

"Is it 1973 when Gillian started?"

Yes, and she's worked in radio or radio/media journalism for FORTY years - hence she is one of the few women in the Radio Academy 40 years list.

Who else has better credentials to voice an opinion on women in radio?

If I make the statement I'd be labelled anti-feminist - she CAN - lets acknowledge her brave voice - she is a very SENSIBLE woman.

And remember the comments of John Ryan, director of 2ZY who pointed out in his Blog:

"Where are all the new women presenters going to come from? Its not since Viva! 963 that twenty great female presenters were needed in one fell swoop. But the radio road in 2013 is littered with older, ex-commercial, or former BBC Local/network women who left the business for whatever reason in the last 20 years. It will take time for the new generation of female talent to percolate into the territory of BBC LR from universities."

And of course Alex Jones, who was truly awful on BBC Radio 2 early breakfast a short while ago.**

If YOU had been presenting a BBC Local Radio breakfast show for 5 years and a woman with less than a year on-air was brought in, would you be happy if she was paid an equal wage, all thanks to 'Lord' Tony's whims, after feminist pressure groups worming their way into the BBC?

* "'by the end of 2014, the corporation is aiming for 50 per cent of local stations to have a woman presenting the high-profile Breakfast shows, either in a solo capacity or as part of a team."

** http://lengroat.blogspot.com/2013/08/beautiful-yes-but-not-voice-for-radio.html
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 11:12:23 PM by Len Groat »

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 12:30:00 AM »
Did Gillian write 2 articles?

The one that I read did not, in any way ,suggest that good female presenters were difficult to find, in fact her article found many!

Gillian was making a point about male domination of Radio 2 and the politico spots, on LBC, but that was not saying that the presenters were not there, they are, but only allowed to deputize.

She makes no reference to BBC local radio, which is a shame, because she has been v quiet on that subject for a long time now?

We will have to see how Tony Hall's plan works, it is for 50% of the stations, and it is probably time for a better gender balance and I am sure most would agree that the public service broadcaster has to reflect it's public.

Len Groat

• View Profile
    • Solid Gold Gem AM
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 12:53:57 AM »
Gillian clearly wrote:

"Clare Teal is a good singer. As host of a new two-hour show shes embarrassing". & "Shennan made a star signing this year in Clare Balding,... Baldings undoubted gifts are not shown to advantage here."

Not much to misunderstand there surely? My points followed on from those.

And if she is unhappy with the Radio 2 women 'stars', that answers your point as to why, "She makes no reference to BBC local radio" With its layers of management, employing university type journalists to uneasily mix safe music and speech items, unnaturally increasing the number of (inexperienced) women will not help at all!

My point about equal pay stands regardless of the sex of inexperienced staff being elevated too swiftly.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 08:37:49 PM »
Len, would I be right in thinking your main argument here is with Tony Halls declaration that he wants to see more women on breakfast shows?  Or 'unnaturally increase' as you put it.

Where are these people being parachuted in at the drop of a hat without experience?  I've seen no evidence of it so far?

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 09:34:59 PM »
Len, would I be right in thinking your main argument here is with Tony Halls declaration that he wants to see more women on breakfast shows?  Or 'unnaturally increase' as you put it.

Where are these people being parachuted in at the drop of a hat without experience?  I've seen no evidence of it so far?

I agree, I am pretty sure that women are not being dragged from their stereotypical places at the ironing board and at the schoolgates and the supermarkets to take over the BBC local radio stations! But as said before there is quite an influx of mature male names coming in,?

And if we are talking about evidence HERE ARE Gillian's relevant comments about female presenters on Radio 2.

"Radio 2 remains the BBCs most popular network. Controller Bob Shennan recently explained to Radio 4s Feedback why this success impedes gender equality. Why change a winning daytime line-up? Thats why Vanessa Feltz is on very early, Jo Whiley late and Janice Long very late indeed. Zoe Ball, Anneka Rice, Sara Cox, Claudia Winkleman, Elaine Paige and Liza Tarbuck all appear, but not in main slots unless deputising for men.

Full credit to Shennan, though, for Stuart Maconies admirable year-long series The Peoples Songs, and for backing the ambitious notion of having Tom Stoppard write a play, Darkside, around Pink Floyds historic album The Dark Side of the Moon (pity the result was a dud). After the death of David Jacobs, Radio 2s Sunday nights changed, Shennan says from necessity, I think for the worse. Clare Teal is a good singer. As host of a new two-hour show shes embarrassing.

Shennan made a star signing this year in Clare Balding, long-time sports reporter, host of Radio 4s Ramblings, national heroine for her television work at the 2012 Olympics and Jubilee river pageant. Good Morning Sunday, once a religious programme, was recalibrated for her, becoming spiritually inclined. Baldings undoubted gifts are not shown to advantage here.

Other women have shone brighter. Cerys Matthews won the 2013 Sony Award for music broadcaster of the year for her 6 Music show but has also sparkled on Radios 2 and 4, particularly with a fine Archive Hour on the legendary 1973 Barbarians defeat of the All Blacks at Cardiff Arms Park. "

I do not think that this is saying ,in any way, that the problem is about not being able to find female presenters, it is an objective review, and there is implicit critism about Bob Shennan not wanting to risk his station's record as the most listened to, by changing anything?

Len Groat

• View Profile
    • Solid Gold Gem AM
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 10:40:08 PM »
Darcy Sarto: "Where are these people being parachuted in at the drop of a hat without experience?  I've seen no evidence of it so far?"!

THAT is exactly my point!

Between now and October - Hall's 'Autumn' - he has decreed that he wants 50% females on breakfast shows.

BUT there is NOT a pool of experienced women to fill this quota!

If the stations DO fulfil the decree, many of those elevated will have risen suddenly, so its VERY unlikely they will have the experience or qualifications of men. Logically (and morally) the BBC should not give them equal wages to more experienced male colleagues.

A further point here: any men moved off breakfast are obviously being replaced with less experienced presenters, purely to fill Hall's quota.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 10:43:55 PM by Len Groat »

Rita

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 10:52:18 PM »
Len, I agree with you, it should have nothing to do with gender, age etc. etc.  It should be about the best person for the job be if male or female.
Yes and I also agree that there are not many experienced female presenters and therefore there will be less experienced personnel elevated to fill Lord Hall's quota.
If it's anything like television, you may have noticed that the females far outweigh the males - you have only to look at the Andrew Marr show on a Sunday and other news programmes to know that.
Like I say, it should be the best person for the job and if they do not have an empathy with the listeners they shouldn't be there in the first place.

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 11:30:25 PM »
BUT there is NOT a pool of experienced women to fill this quota[/u]!

If the stations DO fulfil the decree, many of those elevated will have risen suddenly, so its VERY unlikely they will have the experience or qualifications of men. Logically (and morally) the BBC should not give them equal wages to more experienced male colleagues.

Really Len?  BBC Suffolk recently announced Etholle George as their new Breakfast host, she seems quite experienced?

Emily Jeffrey seems to be working a bit on Surrey Breakfast, having spent a number of years doing weekend Breakfast shows.

There are a lot of talented women out there but if, as you say, the pool is not there, that is another problem that needs addressing?

darcysarto

• Viva Happiness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 11:32:27 PM »
Len, I agree with you, it should have nothing to do with gender, age etc. etc.  It should be about the best person for the job be if male or female.

Yes it should be Rita but as we know, it doesn't always work like that, sometimes its a case of 'who you know'...

Tiger

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 11:34:34 PM »
Yes and I also agree that there are not many experienced female presenters and therefore there will be less experienced personnel elevated to fill Lord Hall's quota.
If it's anything like television, you may have noticed that the females far outweigh the males - you have only to look at the Andrew Marr show on a Sunday and other news programmes to know that.
Like I say, it should be the best person for the job and if they do not have an empathy with the listeners they shouldn't be there in the first place.

Of course it is about merit, that is the central point here.

Seriously, Rita , you are saying that the Andrew Marr show is some sort of example of female domination!?

If you had not noticed all the main political figures in this country are actually male, that would be all the party leaders. And they are all white and privately educated. That needs to be addressed, so can you explain how political reporting on television is female dominated?

The last time I checked, the male contributors to Question Time and Any Questions always outnumber the female voices. Also the previous lack of female presenters on the Today program, and the absurd situation of  male presenters discussing breast cancer, because there was no female presenter.

AND there is a reason for that. It is called chauvinism and it needs to be addressed, and it is being addressed. You just have to look at the horrible abuse that female journalists had to suffer last year to realise that many are sick and tired of being bullied. And actually half of this population would like to be given a voice that is respected and listened to, and given a chance by a male dominated management culture.

Oliii

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 02:57:32 PM »

"There is not, I regret to say, a woman presenter to match the wit, bite, invention and editorial weight of PMs Eddie Mair. Now I think of it, theres no man, either. But heres a name to watch: Linda Yueh, new BBC chief business correspondent. "

I'm not sure I do. Maybe there is no woman or man to match Eddie Mair ... and thank god for that!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter